Who is Faith in Action (FIA)? We are a team of “doers” who believe that making
God’s love real for others begins with serving.
FALL SCHOOL SUPPLY DRIVE
FOR MARYLAND SCHOOL
There is hope, and we have faith, that Maryland School is going to be up and running in August with a school full of students, ready for in-person learning and interacting with friends. Budgets continue to be stretched (technology and air filtration systems have been expensive) so our support is needed, as a community partner (along with Beatitudes Campus and Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix). The beginning of the school year is a time for us to help with stocking up supplies to outfit classrooms, and we are giving you the opportunity to participate! Follow the link below for a list of school supplies needed and details on how to donate. Due to the phenomenal response to our school supply drive, Faith in Action has cancelled the planned drive-through event in the church parking lot on July 31st. However, you can still donate supplies through August 8th by dropping off your donations at the collection barrel in the foyer of the Worship Center or contacting Cathy Kim.
- Maryland School provides educational resources for several refugee families in our community. A father from Eritrea, a country in Eastern Africa, is signing up for classes at Rio Salado Community College and is very much in need of a laptop computer in order to access his classes. He is currently using one that belongs to his teenage child, but they both need access at the same time, so it is not working out. They are a family of five people living in a small apartment, and do not have room for a regular P.C. computer.
- If you have a used working laptop you are no longer using or know of someone who has one to donate or would like to contribute a monetary donation to help purchase a used laptop, please contact Cathy Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have also identified several good used MS Windows compatible laptops on Ebay for under $150 that could be purchased for the father as well as several other refugee families in the Maryland School community.
- You can help Maryland School in a simple way. Make a 2020 year-end tax credit donation of $200 (single) or $400 (for couple). Their budget is stretched and even more so this year with extra expenses. A contribution would be much appreciated. July 15th is the deadline to make a 2020 donation. Download the PDF form below and make a difference!
If you are interested in helping with any of the above drives and missions, please contact a FAITH IN ACTION member by calling the church front office for contact information.
- (TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED) WANTED: EMPTY SHOE BOXES FOR THE HUMANE SOCIETY! Don’t forget our furry friends at the AZ HUMANE SOCIETY! They want shoe boxes any size for the cats and kittens. It provides them a secure place and the box goes to their new home. Susan stops by at the end of each month to take the boxes we have collected. Place them next to the Faith in Action baskets in the Narthex or you can also drop them at the front office. Make a cuddly kitten happy and secure!
- (TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED) BISHOP’S PANTRY needs replenishing of most everything except peanut butter and cereal. The most needed items are canned fruit and vegetables, pasta and pasta sauce, tuna & other canned meat, rice,,hearty soups and canned dinners such as beef stew, ravioli, spaghettios etc. Please remember to check the expiration dates. Also, please donate sauces and gravy in cans not in jars to prevent glass breakage.